Sinusitis is the inflammation of our sinuses—air-filled cavities around our nose—that interferes with mucus drainage and results in nasal congestion. It is usually an acute condition, but some people may suffer from chronic sinusitis. Symptoms typically include:
If these symptoms do not resolve after more than three months despite receiving sinusitis treatment, you are most likely suffering from chronic sinusitis.
Chronic sinusitis can be a result of many factors including a deviated nasal septum, nasal polyps, asthma, allergies, and infections. In order to determine the most suitable sinusitis treatment, your doctor will have to conduct imaging tests, allergy tests, look into your sinuses and/or take samples from your nasal discharge to identify the cause. Here are the types of sinusitis treatment in Singapore.
1. Allergy Medications: Many sinusitis cases are caused by allergies. You may be given allergy medications such as antihistamines to manage your symptoms if your sinusitis is brought about by an allergy reaction.
2. Antibiotics: If the ENT doctor thinks a bacterial infection is the reason for your condition, they may prescribe antibiotics to eliminate the infection and prevent further complications.
3. Painkillers: Your doctor may prescribe pain medicines such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help ease the discomfort and relieve symptoms for mild conditions.
4. Nasal or Oral Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory drugs used to reduce our immune system’s activity to decrease inflammation. For sinusitis treatment, corticosteroids may be prescribed to treat inflammation s in your nasal passages.
5. Decongestants: Relieves nasal congestion
6. Saline Nasal Irrigation: This rinses out the nasal passage to reduce drainage and remove irritants and allergies, relieving symptoms.
7. Immunotherapy: This is typically used to reduce the body’s reaction to an allergen. It may be suitable for patients with bad allergies and atopy.
8. Endoscopic Sinus Surgery: This is a minimally-invasive procedure designed to remove blockages, such as nasal polyps, in your nasal passages, improving drainage and airflow through the nose.
9. Deviated Septum Surgery: Also known as septoplasty surgery, this procedure enlarges, trims, repositions, adjusts, or replaces cartilage and/or bone to improve breathing and drainage.
If the symptoms of sinusitis are unbearable, you can attempt these home remedies to get temporary relief.
Experiencing uncomfortable symptoms of sinusitis? Dr Jenica Yong operates an ENT clinic in Singapore with a team of healthcare professionals to provide solutions for a variety of ENT conditions. Schedule your consultation with us.